Those of you that follow me on Snapchat have probably seen my “Daily Adventures” at least one day this week. Pretty much every time I go for a run, I find these absolutely beautiful areas! So, I do what any girl my age would do and I get out my phone so I can share it with all of my Snapchat friends. Anyway, Today I’m going to be writing about why I run, what struggles I have, and any tips for getting into running.
So lets start with some background info. In March of 2015, I decided after only 1 day of training, I was going to run a half marathon. (I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS ITS SO DANGEROUS YOU COULD DIE DON’T DO IT) Total, I ran 3 miles for my “training” and did an hour of yoga. After having a (few) mental breakdown(s), I finished my first half marathon at 2 hours and 17 minutes (that’s pretty dang good) at the age of 15. Crossing that finish line was one of the best feelings ever (because I knew there was free food).
Anyway, last year (2016) I was going to do the half marathon at the beach but I ended up injuring my knee in May. After going to too many doctors to count, I was told I needed a knee replacement. So there I was, 16 years old, getting told how to prepare for a knee replacement when just over a year ago I ran a half marathon. It was crazy. After being on crutches for almost 6 months, I started to get to where I could walk again (without surgery). So I started doing yoga again to try and fix my knee “my way” and after about a month of yoga, I was -almost- back to normal. I talked to a Physical Therapist and he basically said that if I work out more, I’ll be able to fully heal my knee and get back to walking without a limp!
So I did just that. I started doing yoga 12 times a week and I walked more. Eventually, my knee was (what seemed to be) completely healed so I decided to pick up where I left off and start actually training for another half marathon and I LOVED IT. I’ve never loved doing something active as much as I now love running. This is somethings that’s a shocker since I was never the “active” type (I “had my period” literally everyday in middle school just because it got me out of P.E.).
So now lets get to the why. Growing up, I was a bigger child. I was made fun of a lot and I had literally no self confidence. Running is not only a great way to lose weight but it also helps give me confidence in myself. It’s kinda my way of saying “EFFF YOU” to all the mean girls that would torment me in school. There’s just something about pushing yourself to be the best you can be that is so empowering and liberating. After a while, you’ll see results, not only with your body but with your endurance as well. THAT is what made me fall in love with running.
Now my tips!
- DON’T QUIT. You may not want to run today but you should run today! It will make you feel like you can take on the world with one hand behind your back!
- It takes time to see results so don’t get discouraged.
- If I can run, YOU can run!
- Don’t let yourself make excuses.
- You have to want it bad enough to get up and do something about it.
- ALWAYS wear good shoes! Trust me on this. Your legs will want to kill you if you don’t.
- If you run alone, be sure to be safe and carry protection! ( I’m not old enough to buy a gun yet so I carry my stun gun named Becky with me. She’s one of the strongest on the market and will scare the SH!T out of someone with just the sound it makes)
- Remember to eat right! You’ll basically ruin all your progress if you run 3 miles and then go eat some beefaroni and a donut.